December 8, 2013

Phil Niekro -- Hall of Fame 1997















Acquired: TTM
Sent: 11/22/13
Received: 11/29/13
Turnaround: 7 days
Submittal: $25, ROMLB, LOR, SASE
My request: Blue pen, sweet spot, HOF inscription
Commentary: Phil Niekro turned around my request within a week and followed through on everything asked of him -- with one small exception. The knuckleballer signed with black pen instead of blue. The autograph, however, looks fine and so does the ink. Interestingly, I know Niekro had a blue pen readily available. When he returned the ball to me, he included a nice note both written and signed in blue pen. Niekro's stationery was embroidered with Hall of Fame lingo, including a Cooperstown logo at the top with the names of his fellow induction class. I wonder if that's a perk of induction or if he had that custom-made.

No comments:

Post a Comment