January 19, 2014

Rollie Fingers -- Hall of Fame 1992

















Acquired: TTM
Sent: 12/13/13
Received: 1/2/14
Turnaround: 20 days
Submittal: $15, ROMLB, LOR, SASE
My request: Blue pen, sweet spot, HOF inscription
Commentary: The background behind my Rollie Fingers ball is similar to that of my Fergie Jenkins ball. The story is that I met both Hall of Famers last year at Hohokam Park during Cactus League. Proceeds from their March 9th autograph session went to the late Ron Santo's favorite charity -- JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation). Overall, I was surprised and touched to see both Jenkins and Fingers devoting a Saturday to raise money for the key charity that Santo supported. I donated to both of the former pitchers, but since the autograph session took me by surprise, I was unprepared. As a result, I was unable to land their autographs on official baseballs. Months passed. Nine months later, I decided to circle back with Fingers through the mail to obtain his autograph and a HOF inscription on an official ball. The outcome of my latest success is pictured above. Note that Rollie signs through the mail for $10 less than Fergie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment